Monday, November 28, 2011

Spaetzle



I was probably fourteen or fifteen when I tried this dish but I'll never forget the cheese spaetzle I ordered in Switzerland and one with beef and gravy I ordered in Germany.  I thought I'd never tasted anything so good.  I'm lucky my parents provided me with opportunities to experience so many different countries and cultures.  Who knew I'd be making this for my family years later.   It's become kind of a tradition to have spaetzle with our roast on Sundays.  I'm always amazed at how much my kids eat, they love it!  I usually make a double batch and we have a little left over the next day for lunch.  This recipe is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook.

2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk or water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1 tablespoon margarine or butter

Fill 4-quart Dutch oven half full with water; heat to boiling. In medium bowl, mix eggs, milk, flour, salt and pepper with fork (batter will be thick).
Press a few tablespoons of the batter at a time through colander with 1/4-inch holes, or spaetzle maker, into boiling water. Stir once or twice to prevent sticking. Cook about 2 to 5 minutes or until spaetzle rise to surface and are tender; drain. Toss with butter.
Makes 6 servings, about 1/2 cup each

No comments: